Pistons Post FINALLY

Im back! Sorry for my long, long absence. I had exams, and moved to Detroit and have not had internet at home for the last few weeks. Luckily I have found a way around paying $100 for 2 months of internet! haha!


Okay, so Michael Rosenberg laid it out very simply and clearly (as usual). Basically the Pistons have 3 options: Tmac, Carmello, or nothing.

I have heard of many other options thrown out there like Micheal Redd, Richard Jefferson, or some package of draft busts from the Bobcats. But I really don't think that Joe will bust up this team for anything less than a proven superstar; and the only superstars available are Tmac, or Melo.

So, who do you want? Both are flawed. Tmac is a little older, but is still only 29. He also is known for choking in the playoffs. But, even that flaw is a bit over played considering he basically averaged a triple double in the first round verses the Jazz. The Rockets were just overmatched without Yao.

As for Carmelo: He does not play defense well at all, or maybe just doesn't try. He also has some off the court problems involving a DUI. He also claimed he quit on his team in the playoffs.

But, face it there is no such thing as a perfect superstar (maybe Chris Paul), especially not one who is available for 2 Pistons' starters.

According to Rosenberg, either Tmac or Melo could be had for the price of Tay + Chauncey. Now personally I hate the idea of trading an all NBA point guard. But, I do see the other side of the argument given that we do have a replacement waiting in the wings for Chauncey who is looking really good, in Rodney Stuckey.

Also, I thought the Rockets wanted a package involving Sheed...

Personally, I think a trade involving Sheed is better for this team. 2 years in a row Sheed has cost us a trip to the NBA finals. He didnt show up in game 6 at all against Boston, and he threw a temper tantrum in Cleveland last year. Not to mention these shenanigans happened just a few years after the whole city of Detroit had forgiven him for coming off Robert Horry in game 5 of the NBA finals.

But, this Michael Curry hiring along with hiring Sheed's old college roommate from his UNC days seems to suggest Joe is doing everything he can to get the most out of Sheed. Will a coach he respects along with his good buddy lead to success on the court? If this was a normal, sane person I would say hell no. But this is Rasheed Wallace we are talking about. Captain I play well whenever I want. So, all bets are off with that guy. But the point is it looks like Sheed is here to stay. So the person you get the most for is Chauncey.

Side note: does anyone think that Chauncey removing his name for consideration for the Olympic Team has anything to do with Trade rumors? I know Billups got traded a lot at the beginning of his career and was real happy to find a home.

This is so random, I am totally losing my train of thought.

So, Carmelo or Tmac? I say the only real option is one of them. The "nothing" option is UNACCEPTABLE. If we do nothing, all that means is we become the Utah Jazz, or the NBA's version of the Buffalo Bills. Detroit is a city that has come to expect winning and championships. That last line was pointed directly at William Clay Ford Sr.

My point is a team consisting of Stuckey, Rip, Melo, Sheed, Dyess, or Stuckey, Rip, Tmac, Sheed, Dyess both look really nice. I think both options make you better.

Many of your will quickly say that Melo is the better option because he is younger and a great young score. But youth may be overrated for the Pistons. You need to remember that Detroit never has and never will be a free agent destination. The weather sucks, Davidson refuses to go over the luxury tax, and the ladies just aren't the same here as they are in LA or South Beach. So, when Melo's contract is up Joe will have to do a lot of convincing to get him to stay. Good luck

So while Youth is nice, it may be overrated in this respect: The younger you are, the less desire and urgency a player has to get a championship. Now I am in no way saying that Melo isn't hungry or competitive, all I am saying is Tmac might have a little more drive and urgency to get there. Plus after this year Tmac will be playing for a contract, so you know he will be great.

But, I am afraid of Tmac's back. Which is why I give Melo the edge. I think Joe will command enough respect from a player like Melo that he will work hard on defense. They said the same things they say now about Melo, about Rip when he first came to the Pistons and now look. Also, I think in a stable environment where winning is what matters and leaders already exist on the team, Melo will settle down.

The Pistons also have had success taking in players with injury problems. McDyess was running on bionic knees when he first got here but he has been great. So, maybe the Pistons have a great conditioning coach/trainer. But Injuries are so unpredictable. Plus it is a back injury. It is kind of hard to avoid re-aggravating that when you are in a sport that involves a lot of jumping.

So, put a gun to my head, Ill pick Melo. But either way, I am a happy Piston's fan because I like Tmac a lot.

I just wish it didnt have to come at the cost of Chauncey...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tough call.

Playoff games can be very close, often times turning on a single call, one way or the other, a foul here or there, a shot being made or missed, etc.

Gun to my head, I would still want someone on my team whose nickname is "Mr. Big Shot". "Tmac" and "Melo" are just stupid abbreviations of their names. "Mr. Big Shot" was earned on the court.

I could understand trading away Sheed for someone less recognizable than Tracy McGrady or Carmelo Anthony if that person fit into the system already in place. That's a no-brainer. But trading two great players for one, that's just silly.

Between 'grief' and 'nothing', Ed Rooney can have grief. I'll take nothing.

Anonymous said...

tmac could have easly been the mvp this last year. i have a nickname for tmac that he earned on the court. . . . . mr. i-carried-a- craptacular-team-on-my-back-for-22-wins-in-a-row!!! yes, tmac hasn't won in the play-offs, but he never had help. i think he'd do really good in the d. the pistons got to do something. but i just want to say how great of a finals kobe had! reminded me of jordan.....playing baseball

Anonymous said...

I'm not saying tmac couldn't do well in Detroit, or that he doesn't deserve more credit for what he's done. I'm just saying giving up Prince and Billups to get him may make the Pistons worse than they would be by doing nothing.

The only real concern the Pistons have right now is beating Boston in the Playoffs. They're still going to win their Division. They're still going to be the #1 or #2 seed in the Playoffs. And they get all of that at the low, low cost of not doing absolutely thing. Give up Prince and Billups and they may get none of that.

It's basic math.

Is McGrady >= Prince + Billups?

I say no.

derekG said...

i understand what you're saying. prince would be the bigger loss. billups is declining. but it would be weird if they didn't have billups or prince, since they were such a big part of what the pistons have done