Michigan Basketball???

Today’s post is brought to you by Sony Playstation. Thanks for building a great controller that literally breaks while I am playing Bioshock. Real cool. Its not like it cost me 55 dollars to get another one or anything. I’m not bitter. Ass hats.

So really? Michigan basketball? Yeah! I’m serious everyone, these kids are gonna be fun to watch this year. As everyone knows last year was about as painful as this years version of anything but “ninja” football. John Beilin has his kids playing hard and playing with a purpose. Another year into the system and big wins have already succumbed to reality. Unranked Michigan upsets UCLA. I watched every play of that game completely expecting to get blown out. They didn’t, they played right along with UCLA and their number one rated recruiting class. Eventually the clocks hit 0:00 and Michigan was singing “Hail to the Victors!”

Could this have been a fluke? Most certainly, but I would like to propose to you why it isn’t. The following day after the UCLA victory Michigan went into another game against a top 5 team in Duke and played VERY competitively. Yes they lost by 15, but last year they would have lost by 40. Michigan survived a scare from Savannah State about a week ago and then went into hostile territory in Maryland last night. Michigan lead at the half only to lose in the end. Normally this would make me upset but given the current state of Michigan hoops I will literally take any minor victory. But seriously, they played hard and gave this Maryland team fits who not to long ago put a whooopin’ on MSU. I am in no means saying that Michigan is better than MSU at basketball, but you can clearly see development. Manny Harris and Sims are making huge strides and Stu Douglass can hit 3’s from all over the court. Adding LaVell Lucas Perry (LLP) to the mix at guard will eliminate a walk on (Merrit) and increase the teams offensive productivity immensely. Defensively this team has been great using the 1-3-1 zone to its advantage, and I have to say, so far I really like it. The team is quick enough defensively to not get burned and they have created a lot of turnovers. I am somewhat concerned about its longevity however. I would like to see some man to man defense so they can be more versatile defensively.

Because of my huge love for Michigan Athletics, I am always excited about basketball season. This year everyone else should be too. They have been competitive and have even won games they have no business winning (UCLA.) Support this team. Go to games. You will be happy in the end of the year when John Beilin has this team in the NCAA tourney. Yes, put it in stone, this team WILL be in the tourney this year. I know its bold and I know I am a homer, but this kind of development is not a fluke. The Big Ten is great as a conference, but John has these kids playin’ well and LLP is only going to add to the mix. With the UCLA victory and a better than .500 mark in the Big Ten this team will make the tourney (probably as like a ten seed or something.)

Watch the development of this team because next year could be special…

0 comments: