The Lions "Super Bowl" and Recruiting Update

This post is brought to you by Davenport University. That is where I will be attending starting in January and further adding me to the potentially unemployed list starting in the calendar year of 2009. If that happens you can be rest assured that my posting will increase significantly…

0-14.

That’s where we sit with the New Orleans Saints coming to town Sunday afternoon. As everyone knows, the Lions and whether or not they finish their perfectly blemished record off this year has been a very hot topic nationally, locally and on this blog.

I did something yesterday I thought I would never do, I called into a local radio show. I always thought the only call I would ever make would be to Jim Rome mainly because he runs the only radio show available in Grand Rapids that I actually respect. But…I called into the Huge show. Ugh. My main reason of calling was to name drop Ryan Terpstra on his show and get a response from Huge. All hilarity aside I really just want to comment on his topic from that show. Huge as well as many of his listeners think that its OK to call yourself a Lions fan and still root for them to finish perfectly blemished. That’s crap. If you call yourself a fan it is absolutely never acceptable for you to wish defeat upon them. Huge made a comparison after I got off the line about the Lions season and your fandom being similar to your “favorite” restaurant serving you terrible food for 16 straight appearances. I had to think this was just completely absurd because I am fairly certain that if you received a terrible meal once from your so called favorite restaurant, you would not label it your favorite any longer. Sports and fandom are completely different. Hard times or good times, you should absolutely always root for your team to win.

Which leads me into justifying my post from a month or so ago about the Lions finishing “defeated.”

I, like anyone, want to see the Lions win the Super Bowl. Next to a U-M national championship I personally can’t think of anything better in the sports world for me.

So long as Bill Ford Sr. is running this team we can all keep it locked in our heads as a pipe dream until his resignation or death. Some form of change is going to happen and we all have no idea what that may be but one thing is for certain. The Lions are loosing money as we speak, lots of money. Ford Field is half empty every game now and that hits this organization where it hurts the most, their pocket book. Seeing red numbers thrown around on an Excel spreadsheet like Macy’s red stars on shopping bags at Christmas time is never desired. Sadly though, the Lions have been here before finishing not to long ago at 2-14. This team has never smelled the Super Bowl much less contended in the regular season since “his greatness” Barry Sanders unexpected departure. What I think going 0-16 might do, would be to add that extra slap in the face to Bill Ford Sr. possibly encouraging him to hand the team over to his eager son. I can’t predict the future but if that were to happen this season could potentially have a silver lining. Without that exact course of events I just simply don’t see any radical changes being made.

So when Sunday comes along and I am wanting to gouge my eyes out watching this team more than likely put up another “Epic Fail,” just know that I am not rooting for a loss. I care to much about this team to wish defeat upon them, hell I feel like 14 times is enough for one season. Also know that this team will be playing as if they were in a Super Bowl. NO player wants to have the “Only team ever to go 0-16” label affiliated with their name. This is their last chance at home to prove their worth and you know they will come with everything they have. Hopefully for a select few players whom actually deserve a win (Kevin Smith, Calvin Johnson…) they get it, but also know that they are basically the only ones who deserve a W. This organization DESERVES 0-16. Its sad that the players are the ones who really have to live with the label…

Quick U-M recruiting update!

2009 recruiting class

Since my first recruiting post Michigan has added: OL Taylor Lewan, DB Vladimir Emilien, ATH Cameron Gordon, and DT Pearlie Graves, all 4 star prospects. We have also lost by decommitment LB Jordan Barnes. All 4 additions are great and have good upside for the class. I personally don’t believe losing Barnes was a big deal. He was a 3 star LB and Michigan knew he was wavering and didn’t put in a real effort in keeping him. Maybe because Michigan likes its chances with Jelani Jenkins? Doubtful. But LB isn’t a huge position of need now with the current kids in the class and the kids from last years class.

Right now we are sitting at the number 7 overall recruiting class for 2009 and we still have a few needs: Will Campbell, maybe another offensive linemen, and some more defensive backs. Obviously there is always room for the likes of Jelani Jenkins or WR Reuben Randle (the number one overall rated prospect for 2009.) Although they would be nice, don’t get your hopes up. I give it a 10% chance we land either and that may be on the high side…

2 comments:

Andy MooN said...

Welcome to D-port Bry! It's a shame that I will cross your fingers, be done at the end of the summer.
I really don't think Ford is as bad as some make him out to be. He spends money built a new stadium. Things could be much worse. His main problem is his is so loyal to his friends. That was why it took so long for Fontes and Millan to be fired. He liked them too much to ax them. I don't know if that makes him a bad owner or just loyal. The problem is he's never hired the right guy. It really doesn't matter, who is coaching, unless we get a personal guy in here that knows what he's doing. If we can find that guy, paging Scott Pioli, things will work out. Ford just has made some bad calls when it comes to people he trusts with running the organization, because he isn't a football guy. His heart is in the right place sometimes his brian get in the way.

derekG said...

what makes it feel worse for lions fans is the lions lost the lead in eight games this year. EIGHT! so they're not completely terrible, they just tease you enough, like having blue balls