Olympic Spoilers and Praise

I'll admit it, I have become a women's gymnastics fan, and I am perfectly okay with that. I love it.

I have also become a big Nastia Loukin fan. What can I say, I am a sucker for blondes. Also, Nastia, if you are reading this and are ever in the Michigan area... I apologize, this is a sports blog, not a medium for hooking up with gorgeous gymnastics stars. (or is it both???)

Back to business, my excitement for watching the uneven bars final last night was somewhat diluted given the fact that my good friend and co-writer of this blog, Brian, texted me that Nastia received a silver medal approximately 11 hours BEFORE it was televised. Thanks for ruining it, BRIAN!

Now, today. All I wanted to do was surf over to espn.com and find out what the score of the USA vs. Germany score in basketball was, only to accidentally learn that Shawn Johnson had won the gold medal on the balance beam. Shoot, it was printed on the front page of the paper 5 hours before it was televised.

I realize that Beijing is 12 hours different from us, but it just seems like the press should have some sort of gentleman's agreement not to publish the outcome before the American people can watch it. Im sure it is impossible with this whole internet thing that is sweeping the nation, but I just wish that when I watch Shawn Johnson smile as she won the gold medal, my head didn't say, "I already know."

That said, I still watched the balance beam final. I still loved every minute of it, and I still was so happy for both Nastia Loukin and Shawn Johnson.

I suppose that the Olympics are fun whenever you get to watch them, but I just wish I could use the internet without feeling like I heard the ending to a movie with a twist before watching it.

They better not do this for men's basketball, I'll be even more pissed.

Again, congratulations to the American women's gymnastics team and especially Shawn Johnson and Nastia Loukin for everything they have accomplished.

0 comments: