Michigan Media Day and more...

Brought to you by the purple jolly rancher...shit those things are gross.

So my roommate was kind enough to invite me to to along with him to cover Michigan Football Media Day with him last sunday. I have never been to an event like this before so it was rather exciting. So here are my thoughts from the day and probably some long winded thoughts about football for this year.

Rich Rodriguez is awesome.

Mike Barwis is the most intimidating man I have ever met.

Will Johnson can bench 575 lbs.

If I could hang out with anyone on the team it would definately be Terrance Taylor. That kid is hilarious.

There are a lot of positions on this team that I truly believe we are absolutely stacked at. And then there is the offensive line and quarterback. Having been there and also watching the big ten network special for Michigan's practice I can safely say I am truly scared for both of these positions. Steve Schilling is the only returning starter on offensive line and I think we can all remember last year if there was a sack...it was probably his fault. Aside from the inexperience, there were two o line guys injured when we were there bringing our grand total of eligible offensive linemen to like 8.

So barring incredible improvement, the offensive unit is going to struggle. This useful bit of information makes me understand a little better why Steven Threet is not set in stone as the starter. Nick Sheridan isn't a statue standing in the pocket and can avoid the massive onslaught of defenders who will most certainly be in the backfield at will. Now comes the next problem...I literally don't think he is capable of completing a pass longer than 15 yards. Not to mention he looks like a kid I would ask to fix my computer when it breaks, not be the starting QB for the University of Michigan. I can't help but think that our offense is going to look something like Joe Tillers offense at Purdue, but with a worse QB and FAR better position players. Sheridan might actually get the start against Utah...but I promise it won't last long due to either injury or just sheer lack of talent.

Other things of note...

Michael Shaw is going to be a stud and is wearing number 20. Upon talking to him he sounded supremely confident and displayed the kind of moxie one looks for in a potential star athlete.

Donovan Warren is a pretty boy who I am sure can bag pretty much any tail he wants at Michigan, including mine... But in all seriousness I really think he can be the next Charles Woodson. Rumors of plans for him returning kicks and/or punts along with guaranteed greater amounts of interceptions will sky rocket his popularity and value to the team.

Sam Mcguffie doesn't like people...and if he didn't already have a freakin' sweet nickname (White Lightning) it would most definately be Sabre Cat.

Look out for Obi Ezeh's mean face...it was on display for all to see at media day.

If this team is going to finish in the likes of 9-3 it will be almost completely be because of the defense. I believe that if the offense can just put up around 20 points a game, and not be ridiculously turnover prone (shot in the dark I know), the defense can carry this team to 9 wins.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Funny stuff here.