Should I become Lions Free?

I have supported this team through thick and thin, but I have only seen them win 1 playoff game in my life...

Draft Day used to be the Lions Super Bowl, now it’s the universal day of Lions fan mockery. Now, we hear more about all the botched WR picks by Matt Millen more than we do about the Jets passing on Dan Marino. You're welcome Jets fans!

Now comes the day where it all changes. I want to become Lions free.

Could you imagine a team where hope of going 10-6 is an actual reality?

Could you imagine rooting for a team that employs a GM that actually addresses team needs (MIDDLE LINEBACKER), instead of making some bone head pick because he just became BFF's with his second round pick (DREW STANTON)?

Could you imagine rooting for a team that not only wins playoff games, but also has actually been to a Super Bowl?

Could you imagine cheering for a team that isn’t owned by senile guy who couldn't even succeed in his own family’s company?

As of right now, the Lions are my favorite NFL team, and the Chargers are my second favorite.

Here is my ultimatum. If the Lions make another bonehead pick and take Rashard Mendenhall, I am just going to flip flop those two teams. I think it would work out perfectly. Most of the Charger's games are at 4, so I could still watch a lot of them. I already own an LT jersey. (Powder blue of course). Plus, when I hear this song, it gets me all excited:




Of course there would be a small place in my heart still for the Lions, but I am sick of stupid picks, bad coaches, and a terrible owner who doesn't give a crap about the fans.

I had a blast rooting for the Chargers in the playoffs last year. I think I will just keep that crazy train rollin'.

Would I be seen as a fair weather fan? Would Charger's fans accept me? Because the more I think about being Lions free, the more I get excited to be a Charger's fan. San Diego Super Chargers, San Diego CHARGERS!!! :)

5 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
derekG said...

nathan sportel, you are accepted. the chargers will be competitive for at least 3 more years. but if they keep drafting like they do, they'll be good until a.j. smith dies. but that song might have to be changed to l.a. chargers or chula vista chargers. anyways, it's the chagers year. have you seen the teams they have to play?!?!?! if they lose to every team that was over .500 last year they will be 13-3. (loses to colts, patriots, and steelers). but we'll see what the lions do. if they trade roy, will you be mad at them drafting another receiver? download the song, 'san diego chagers' by p.o.d. it's a sick song

Elliot Talen said...

Are you forgetting the days of Rubber Ducky? Of dragging our hung over asses to the basement simply to have our hopes dashed by a last second drop in the end zone or the defense's inability to tackle a practice dummy? 3 year plans turning into "whenever we get lucky" plans? Small hopes that Charlie Batch would actually come back because he took us to the playoffs?
I will agree, the Chargers are sexy and I would probably have LT's babies...but come on, you can never jump ship on the franchise that always keeps you wanting more. What is the fun in being a fan if you always win? Its the agony, the defeat, the complete and utter embarassment that make us Lions fans wonder on a daily basis why we continue to gasp for air.

Highly disappointed with this post.

derekG said...

elliot, chill. he's giving the lions one more chance. he's still gonna love the lions. he just needs a break, like in a relationship. he needs to recharge his batteries and experience winning again. it sucks losing every sunday. (chargers did go 1-15 not too long ago) but papoose, you are welcome as well to hop on with nate. :)

Anonymous said...

Nathan, you are presenting yourself with a false dilemma when you worry about being a fair weather Lions fan. There can be no such thing as a fair weather fan when there is never any fair weather!