Jim Leyland Finally Bursts Out

After probably the most embarrassing loss of the seasons, the players finally heard it from Jim Leyland.

I am sure everyone remembers in 2006 when the Tigers started 5-0, and then went on a bit of a cold stretch. I can still remember the very short press conference where Jim said ""We played like we had our suitcases packed for Oakland, and it didn't matter if we won or lost," "That's gone on here before, and it's going to stop. That's not going to get it done." The managers fury and passion was music to a Tiger's fans ears because we knew losing wasn't acceptable anymore.

Well, now it is 2008. The Tigers are 2-10 and disappointing everyone.

And finally Leyland lashed out again.

"I finally got (ticked) off," Leyland said. "I'm to the point where I didn't hold it in very good, and I meant what I said. I'm not going to get into what I said. That's nobody's business.

"There was one thing that sticks out to me right now that's going on, and that was the straw that broke the camel's back with me. And that's why I'm (ticked) off.

"It's glaring."

That one thing of course is the quick, weak outs. Swinging early in counts and swinging at bad pitches.

Jim is now so mad that it is actually making the players take some responsibility for their poor performance. Miguel Cabrera came out and straight up said, "I feel embarrassed right now, I'm disappointed with what I'm doing right now on the field. ... I'm swinging at bad pitches. It's bad. I'm playing bad. ... I feel bad. I feel like everybody's behind me, laughing."

They are laughing, Miguel. The rest of the league is laughing at our record, the other team's fans are laughing because they are happy we aren't the threat, and Tigers fans are laughing so they don't cry.

So, what sort of prediction am I going to make? Nothing positive. I don't think one outburst is enough to get this team to wake up. It might take something far more serious. A full team session in Mean Gene's cage.

But I do take some comfort in Jim's final statement. "I accept full responsibility for this team's performance, which has not been good," Leyland said. "But it will be good."

It better be Jim, because this team has no excuses for failure or mediocrity.

1 comments:

derekG said...

you know nate, i think i know what's wrong with the tigers. when inge got pushed out of his position for a much better player it was, "what about me?" me, me, me. not, "damn this is a good team and i want to win a championship with this team. i've been here through the bad times and now we're good." i think that was the tip of the iceberg. the impression i get out here in california is that the tigers seem selfish and are quick to point the finger. you know, bad chemistry. it's very hard to have a team with so many superstars because they get all diva and 'look at my numbers' attitudes. i could be wrong, all i hear about baseball other than the california teams is the freakin skankees and b***h sox. let me know if that's the vibe out in michigan. it still is early and the indians aren't running away with the amazing pitching from CC.