Ryan Raburn

My worst nightmare happened. Not even Zack Greinke could prevent the stupid Twins from sweeping the Royals, who chose the worst times to get hot and then go in a slump. Plus we all knew it would be completely unreasonable to expect the Tigers offense to score more than one run against Freddy Garcia (4.34 ERA), so how could the Tigers possibly take 2 of 3 from a non-playoff team at home.


So here we are, scared to death that the Minnesota house of horrors will mean another year added to the division championship drought.

But, as I keep having to remind myself, the Tigers are not out of it yet. I also need to often remind myself that I am not the manager of the Tigers and have no control. That said, I can continue to pretend.

I already gave the Tigers, specifically Carlos Guillen, quite the verbal licking from the left field stands on Saturday, a message that seemed to be received. I also chastised Leyland for sitting one of his best offensive options, Ryan Raburn, on Saturday in favor of the completely worthless, unless playing for a last place team, Aubrey Huff. My theory then was founded basically on my completely unjustified belief that every time I attend a Tigers game that Raburn plays in, he has a great game at the plate. Perhaps not completely unjustified considering I have seen him hit is first career hit, home run, and grand slam in addition to several 3-4 games and a couple multi-RBI games. (Ryan, if your superstitious you can email me about my season tickets next year, I'm not asking for much, and you get to go to the hall of fame. Deal?)

However, after looking purely at the numbers, Raburn might be the guy who most needs to play in the one game "playoff." Here are some stats for you to chew on.

Raburn is hitting a home run just over every 16 (16.025) at bats. That is better than both Miguel Cabrera (18.36) and Curtis Granderson (20.867). In fact, it is just a little worse than AL HR leader, Mark Teixiera (15.6).

I know what you are going to say. "Ryan Raburn plays mostly in a platoon, in favorable hitting match-ups" to which I say, how dare you doubt Ryan Raburn's abilities! Raburn has 128 at bats verses right handed pitchers and 158 at bats against left handed pitchers. Most of his power numbers are coming against left handed pitchers (12 HRs against lefties vs. 4 against righties), but Raburn actually has a higher average against right handed pitchers (.296 vs. .278).

Mind you, Raburn's .288 average is 3rd best on the team, and his 45 RBI's is three less than Magglio who had 203 more at bats than Raburn. In fact, if you extrapolate Raburn's 45 RBI's for as many AB's as Miguel Cabrera had, he would be leading the team with 106 RBIs.

However, the most important stat of all might be this chart. Look at his trends: (click link to make it bigger)


Not only is Raburn hitting .345 this month, and he also has half of his home runs in one month of play. The trend says he is saving his best for last.

I wanted to finish you all off and thereby instill the same love that I have for Ryan Raburn into your own heart with a grand finale that showed Raburn hitting .400 against Scott Baker. However, it looks like he has never actually faced Scott Baker in his career. Perhaps this unfamiliarity is problematic, but I don't think you sit your hottest hitter just because he is young and unfamiliar.

Raburn basically single-handedly kept us in this race after not getting a chance to play in games 1 or 2 against the White Sox. He has to play in Tuesday's game.

I gave you all the reasons why we need him at the plate, but we also need him in left field instead of the 3 steps too slow Carlos Guillen. Raburn gives you a huge lift defensively because he has more speed than Guillem, but also because of his accurate arm that has thrown out an amazing 8 assists from the outfield, putting him near the top of the list of outfielders, all of whom are everyday players, unlike Raburn.

So, looking at all the great reasons to play Ryan Raburn, here is my suggestion for tomorrow:

1. Curtis Granderson - CF
2. Placido Polonco - 2B
3. Magglio Ordonez - RF
4. Miguel Cabrera (hopefully sober) - 1B
5. Carlos Guillen - DH
6. Brandon Inge - 3B
7. Ryan Raburn - LF
8. Gerald Laird - C
9. Adam Everett - SS

Raburn is a very hot hitter and NEEDS to play tomorrow. I will be extremely disappointed if he isn't in the lineup because he might be the only remaining key to a halfway decent offense.

0 comments: