Michigan Football and Fandom

Welcome readers, today’s post is brought to you by that guy who takes a poop in the men’s room while you are in there and leaves without washing his hands. It’s because of people like you that normal self- respecting people might be self conscious about shaking your hand.

Onto what may be the most disappointing Michigan game since that opener last year. So much for being undefeated against current MAC teams and so much for our diminishing bowl hopes huh? Aside from pages and pages of expletives that I would like to use to describe my real feelings about the game, I would like to respond to a few other opinions I have heard about the game. Many people have voiced their displeasure with RR not simply lining up and running off tackle with Grady or Minor, simply saying that because we are Michigan we should just be able to out tough Toledo and get out with a win. This is a load of crap for a few reasons. First, our offensive line is absolutely terrible, they can’t block for a zone read stretch play any better than they can for the spread zone read. Second, Grady and Minor both love to fumble the football and have yet to prove that either are a reliable ball carrier. I am certain that if either of them displayed better ball security that RR would go to this far more often than he does.

I also have heard things such as losing to Toledo is “unacceptable” or “not tolerated at Michigan.” My response to those people is…What is acceptable? Lloyd lost to a 1-AA team for cryin’ out loud! I am in no means trying to justify this joke of a game Michigan played, but this team is young and inexperienced and they are all trying to learn an offensive system that maybe 20% of them have ever played before. In addition to that, many of them flat out are just not that talented. This may sound ridiculous but it is evident by just how many different people have played different positions; WR, RB, QB, OL and kick returner have all seen countless different players just to find out who is least likely to screw up. Its sad to say but it is mildly obvious that Lloyd’s recruiting had gone downhill in his last years. This is most evident with the lack of depth in the DE, OL and LB positions. I really dare you to look at the depth chart of those positions and not want to vomit.

Rich has been dealt a more difficult hand than he or any one of us could ever imagine, but he is doing the right thing. He is recruiting well and filling needs all over the field. He also is trying to install his offense and get as many kids as possible as familiar with it as they can. This is very important for next years team. Rebuilding like this is going to take a while and unfortunately we probably can’t expect the world out of this team until probably 2010, just in time for the expansion to be finished!!!

This leads me into a huge annoyance I have with many Michigan fans. As much as I hate to say it, there are a ton of terrible Michigan fans. Many people sit in the bleachers and curse the name of Rich Rod because M isn’t undefeated this year or they boo a team whose average age is probably 19. Seriously guys give them a break. I am one of the biggest Michigan fans around and I can honestly say that when I heard boo’s at the Illinois game I personally was disgusted. This team is young and our coach is new and they both need our support. I am not saying to cheer wildly every time someone fumbles or misses a tackle or Stevie Brown blows countless amounts of downfield coverage’s, but just to be respectful. Save your boos and your poor opinions of whats currently happening for 2010 when this team has had a chance to mature and develop. I never thought this year would be this bad, but I know for a fact that I don’t need to make it any worse. I guess after 40 years of winning seasons we all can be in for a little dose of humility. I strongly suggest for everyone to take theirs like a winner and put faith in our team, our coach and our progam.

As always, GO BLUE!

1 comments:

derekG said...

time to jump on the back of javon ringer and ride with the spartans