Live Blogging

12:56:  Alright, here is my situation for context.  Over at my friends house, got the DirecTV Mega March Madness Package going, sitting in the lazy boy, computer on my lap, and other "enjoyable items" within arms reach.  I will be in this position all day, and tomorrow and hopefully the rest of march.  


1:01:  A&M made their first 10 shots, can the mormons spark a little of that Joseph Smith magic and come back from an early 20 point lead?  My guess is no.  BYU looks lost.  Speaking of nervous teams, what is Memphis doing?  They are hacking constantly, as Northridge is in the bonus after just 9 minutes of play.  My pick for the finals is worrying me.

1:09:  I had no idea that Andy Samberg played basketball for Butler.  Apparently, he is quite the player as he was Horizon League player of the year (if that means anything?).  Regardless, he is apparently trying to hide his association with Saturday Night Live and playing under the alias of Matt Howard.  Do we have a scandal on our hands?  Decide for yourself.

1:25:  This is unacceptable, all games are at half time currently and forcing me to watch commercials.  We got this package to avoid this very situation.  ANGRY!!!!

1:32:  That was too long, real basketball finally back on.

1:37:  If you are watching LSU-Butler you just heard Nantz say that Butler was "young and hungry."  No one can go to a commercial break quite like you Jim.  In good news this game is getting pretty exciting as Butler is within 1.  Samberg inside is doing some damage.  In bad news for me, my pick of LSU is not looking quite as safe.

1:43:  Seriously Memphis?  You can hold every Conference USA team under 50, but you can't destroy Cal State Northridge?  You are making me very nervous.

2:12:  Important lesson learned from the BYU game:  Do not pick a team of all white guys in basketball, ever.

2:27:  As the first round of games look to wrap up, I am satisfied with a 2 out of 3 result.  Memphis almost made me have a heart attack, but they survived.  I am excited to watch the Purdue game as I am hoping for a good showing by the Big 10.

2:48:  I have a new favorite (non-Michigan) player in the tournament: Jordan Eglseder of Northern Iowa.  Why?  Because he is a 7-1, 290 pound white guy.  I have eloquently named him Mr. Larson.  You might remember this famous character from Happy Gilmore, famous for saying "And you can count, on me, waiting for you, in the Parking Lot."  I have watched the entire game and I'm pretty sure he is yet to jump in the air.  I will keep you updated.

3:10:  Not impressed with Cal's play so far.  Purdue is looking strong as well.  The other two games are likely to be massacres. 

3:26:  Sweet Alley-oop dunk by Cal on the backdoor cut.  Well played!  Cal trying to win back my affection after I dissed them sixteen minutes ago.

3:38:  I might be missing it, but Raftery still hasn't said his famous catch phrase "with the kiss" yet.  I'm happy and sad.  By the way, Maryland just got about 7 offensive boards and 0 points to show for it.  Enjoy losing to Memphis on Saturday.

3:50:  Yep, the word graceful was just used to describe Eglseder...  Sarcasm is running high.  On a side note, the Purdue cheer "Boiler-up!" might be the worst in sports.  If you can think of a worse one, I would love to hear it.  But it has to be the most nonsensical cheer ever.  WHAT DOES IT MEAN!?!?  Taken literally, you are asking to turn up a furnace?  Perhaps you work with what you have, and when your nickname is Boilermakers, what else can you do?

3:56:  So, my "friends" have decided to push a certain button of mine.  The button being calling Pizza, "za."  They then took it to the next level and told me that I should get some 'roni on my 'za.  Threats of physical violence and screaming soon followed.

4:20:  This Purdue game just got really tight.  Purdue seems to have downsized their defensive pressure.  They better get their act together after this game because Washington will be a tall task.  To make things worse, they can't even hit free throws.  Hummel going 1-2 from the line is unacceptable.  

4:27:  Wow, I hope you all are watching this Purdue game.  At the beginning I thought it was going to be a blow out, but Purdue's poor free throw shooting accompanied by some cold blooded 3 point makes by Northern Iowa has made this a 2 point game.  I am rooting hard for the Big 10 this year, so come on Purdue!

4:29: Number 11 for Northern Iowa just stupidly took the ball to the basket while down by 4.  You gotta shoot the three!  What are you thinking.  This game is now over. 

4:40: The only real thing to watch in this UCONN-Chattanooga game is to see if Chattanooga will score more than 40 points.  At least the 1-16 match-ups are over early.

5:39:  Not a lot going on, as only Washington and Miss. State are playing.  Miss. State seems to be proving my point that conference championships are detrimental to teams in NCAA Tournament.  While I am sure Miss. State is glad to be here, I doubt they like being stomped on by Washington on tired legs from 4 games in 4 days.  I guess I shouldn't extrapolate as there is plenty of basketball yet to be played, but Miss. State looks like they don't belong here.

7:09:  Nerves are running high right now.  I was just running back and forth down a high way.  Im currently rocking the Tractor Traylor 54 Jersey, Michigan basketball shorts, a maize under shirt and a Michigan hat.  If we lose this game, it wont be for lack of fandom by me.

7:19:  Bad Passes and bad defense.  This is not the sign of a Beilein coached team.  They look nervous and scared.  Snap out of it, Blue!

7:27:  At least we are shooting well so far.  Maybe when Sims actually shows up to the game, we could maybe, I don't know grab a defensive rebound, and he might make some plays...

7:32:  I love that Beilein is sitting Sims right now.  Hopefully, this extra motivation gets him to respond.  In his place Gibson is playing GREAT defense!  Oh speaking of good play, Manny Harris is playing pretty good.  Props to Manny for 2 blocks!

8:08:  At half we are ahead by 3.  Manny is playing incredible, Sims is playing like crap.  If Michigan steps up the defense and Sims shows up, I like our chances.  Keep up the intensity though Manny.

9:36:  Several years of my life were shaved off my overall expectancy, but I am soooooo Happy!

9:55:  Akron really wanted to delay the inevitable, but they finally fell.  Gonzaga looked pretty good towards the end of the game.  I have them in the Sweet 16.  Villanova also gave us a scare (I have them in the elite 8).  I have started watching the Duke game, and Binghamton really likes to run.  Could be an interesting game, but we shall have to see how many "Duke Fouls" are called.  I imagine this game will eventually get out of hand, but I sure love watching Duke struggle.

10:23:  Despite already knowing the inevitable, I am rooting hard for Morgan State.  Go Golden Bears!

2 comments:

derekG said...

speaking on behalf of 2:12 did you just figure that out?

Elliot Talen said...

Did you see the kid McNees (#4) from Akron? I think I have found my arch nemesis. Overall a sweet day, I have a perfect bracket thus far :)