Finishing up Defeated

Today’s post is brought to you by my crackberry… for reasons to be explained later in this post.

Last week I went to Detroit with some friends and got to watch the Wings beat the Devils and Marion Hossa score a freakin’ sexy goal. But the following day I got the distinct pleasure of watching the Lions and their Epic Fail against Jacksonville.

Heading into the game I was fairly certain that not only would the Lions get destroyed, but Daunte would do something completely retarded. Come to find out his first completion as a Lion was to the other team, good job, at least you tried your best. I also knew heading into the game that I would spend a few minutes on my crackberry checking my fantasy football team, little did I know that it would be the very thing that kept my sanity throughout the debacle Rod Marinelli orchestrated.

The Lions are 0-9 and on a fast track to being the first winless team in the history of the NFL. Many ‘fans’ are actually rooting for such a thing to happen which I think is ridiculous but it may actually be the ONLY thing that Bill Ford Sr. will notice. Essentially everything within the Lions program is a disaster save Calvin Johnson and a few others.

I want to take a stance and say that I truthfully want the Lions to finish only defeated, no wins, just defeated. I want this to happen not because I think it would be the most hilarious thing to happen to any professional team but because of embarrassment. I want Bill Ford Sr. to actually be embarrassed about his business decisions over the last 30 or so years. Maybe being labeled the worst team in the history of sports will actually provoke some positive action, some good hires, and a resurgence of talent via the draft. If finishing 0-16 isn’t enough to inspire change then the Lions truthfully are hopeless. I love the Lions and want nothing more than for them to be the New England Patriots, but the Fords need to do something big and they need to do it now.

Put this in stone, the only way real change will happen with the Lions is a 0-16 season. So ‘root’ for the loosing season if you will but do it strictly for the purpose of inspiring change, not just the first draft pick.

Which leads me to my next point, did Matt Millen accidentally stumble upon a talented player who actually cares about winning? Kevin Smith sincerely put a smile on my face upon hearing his comments about the game. A third round draft pick from UCF, kind of a hard knocks type of player who has worked hard to get where he is at, and HE is the one who takes a stand for the whole team. Amazing. Hey at least Gosder Cherilus and Jordan Dizon are on track, countless holding and procedure penalties and whiffed special teams tackles respectively. Kevin Smith is the man and I feel terrible that he is forced into such a culture that is the Lions.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The 1976 Bucs went 0-14. There already has been a completely "defeated" team in NFL history

derekG said...

let me tell you, the lions are going to beat the titans, easily too.